Drinking bone broth for weight loss is what the elitists are doing to get the edge. Here is how you can do the same…
As a child, I remember always having chicken soup when I was sick. I really never knew why besides that fact that it was warm and delicious. When I discovered the healing capabilities of bone broth, I was fascinated to find out that the bone broth chicken soup really did have massive healing power. More recently, I discovered that, along with its healing capabilities, it also works well for weight loss.
When it comes to the topic of losing weight, there is always a new magic pill, workout or “cutting edge” system that promises us the weight and body of our dreams. Once we get past all the clutter of fancy advertising, we can step back and look at a weight loss tool that has been used for thousands of years, and that tool is bone broth for weight loss.
What is Bone Broth?
Traditional Chinese and Jewish medicine have been using bone broth dating back to 1000 CE for healing many illnesses.
You can make bone broth simply. Boil beef or chicken (preferred) bones from a grass-fed cow or pasture-raised chicken in a pot for 12-24 hours along with healing spices to give it an amazing flavor. Bone broth has almost become unknown over the past couple decades, but it is resurging by popular demand due to society becoming more health conscious. Not only has bone broth been used for healing many illnesses through the centuries, but also for weight loss. I have witnessed many of my patients shed weight and heal themselves through bone broth, so let’s discover why.
Health Benefits of Bone Broth
Bone broth is low calorie and has many benefits to healing, the not only the gut, but the whole body. In return, bone broth helps you lose weight and feel amazing. Here are the reasons bone broth is such a healing superfood.
- High in Collagen. Collagen is a protein that studies show can help heal the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, both intestines and stomach. Studies also show that collagen supports the joints, tendons, mucus membranes, skin, bones, and even can support alleviating gastric ulcers.
- One of the things we don’t typically hear about bone broth is its ability to fight against cellulite. Cellulite appears in the body when we lack the ability to produce connective tissue and the skin cannot support itself. Collagen will help you look and stay young as it support stretch marks, wrinkles and the effects of aging skin.
- High Mineral Content. The minerals found in bone broth include calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfate, and fluoride.
- Rich in Glycine. Glycine is an amino acid which has been shown to help people sleep better, detoxify the body, fight inflammation and improve memory.
- Inhibits infection. It has been proven through studies that drinking bone broth will inhibit the cold and flu.
- Gelatin. Gelatin has been proven for years to support the body in so many ways. Here is a list of some of the benefits:
- Strengthen nails and hair
- Decrease the risk of autoimmune disorders
- Help prevent bone loss
- Reduce joint pain
- Promote probiotic balance and growth
If that wasn’t good enough, there is more! Gelatin also contains the following amino acids:
- Arginine. Arginine regenerates damaged liver cells, produces sperm and growth hormones.
- Proline. Supports leaky gut, increase the metabolism, regenerate cartilage and heal the joints.
- Glutamine. Supports healing the gut lining, contributes to muscle building, and strengthen cells in the small intestine.
Fat-Melting Qualities of Bone Broth
It’s fairly safe to say that bone broth has won a spot on the Superfoods List. But how exactly does drinking bone broth for weight loss work?
Fills You Up without the Calories: Since bone broth is rich in various nutrients and compounds, it is fills you up, while having virtually zero carbs and few calories.
Bye-Bye Bad Skin: Collagen also blasts wrinkles and works to reduce cellulite.
Gut Healing: Now, if you’re interested in losing weight, I bet you’re also struggling with a few digestive issues as well (bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gas, or all of the above). This is because weight gain and digestive problems go hand-in-hand. They are both the result of a sick gut. The gelatin in the bone broth works to heal the gut, facilitating weight loss.
Anti-Inflammatory: The primary reason that people drink bone broth for weight loss is because of it’s anti-inflammatory effect on the body. One of the most important discoveries of the 21st century is that inflammation underlies obesity.
As opposed to acute inflammation, chronic inflammation damages your cells leads to biological changes that make you gain weight. This sets the stage for insulin and leptin resistance, hormonal, and other metabolic changes, causing you to put on even more weight. Fat cells are inflammatory, so when you add pounds, a vicious cycle begins – inflammation leading to weight gain, leading to more inflammation.
To lose weight and keep the weight off, you must break the inflammatory cycle. Utilizing healing nutrients like those in bone broth allow the pounds to melt away. In addition, dry or acne-prone skin – which are outward signs of internal inflammation – will start to clear up.
Drink Bone Broth for Weight Loss
There are several methods for using bone broth for weight loss. Some people will replace a meal with bone broth for a period of time. Others utilize a fasting method using bone broth; where you drink only bone broth for a 24-36 hour period. The effect of either method is stunning! No time to make it? Try this pre-made alternative from grass-fed beef bones.
I personally like to use bone broth for weight loss because it helps me maintain a healthy metabolism, gut and stay lean. What I do is once a week, typically on Wednesday, I drink nothing but bone broth. This allows me to do a 24 hour fast from food and give me all the above mentioned benefits from bone broth. I have noticed significant changes in my skin, energy, mood and overall health since implementing this.
I had a fear of implementing this because I am an athlete. As an athlete you want to strengthen and improve your body consistently. My fear was that I would be very weak from the fast and that it would adversely effect my workouts. Truth is that the 24 hour bone broth fast actually helped me recover, heal and strengthen. I was improving my weight lifting and running at a much more rapid pace.
As you utilize bone broth for weight loss combined with fasting, you don’t want to over exert your body. When I do my 24 hour weekly bone broth fast I look at it as a day to heal and recover. I don’t plan anything extraneous or demanding on my body because I know I need to let it rest.
If you really want to get crazy I have done up to four day fasts drinking nothing but bone broth. This is not for the faint of heart. So if you are new to this I recommend replacing a meal with bone broth, then working to a 24 hour fast. After you have successfully conquered the 24 hour fast you can move to the multiple day fast. You can read more on the benefits of fasting in one of my past articles. Combining fasting with bone is the ultimate healing and weight loss strategy.
Have you ever made or utilized bone broth? What is your experience?