I love Mexican food, but especially fajitas. This is a healthy twist on traditional fajitas. Skip the bleached flour tortilla, add in quality protein and lots of good fats, and you have yourself a meal that primes your body for high performance. This chicken fajita recipe is delicious and quick to make for a weeknight meal.
Bonus: it’s quick and involves limited dishes, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
Dr. Zyrowski’s Comments
Start this meal off right with the best possible ingredients. I recommend pasture-raised chicken. Pasture-raised chickens eat grass, weeds, and bugs from healthy pastures and have minimal to no grain in their diet. Choose organic bell peppers, as they are one of vegetables on the Dirty Dozen list. Everything is sautéed in coconut oil, which is a good fat that has incredible health benefits. Top with avocado slices or fresh guacamole for added fats and flavor.
The spices in this recipe have some impressive profiles:
- Cumin: Aids digestion, improve immunity, helps insomnia
- Garlic: Strong anti-bacterial properties, aids in digestion, lowers sugar levels
- Chili: Rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and other important minerals
Chicken Fajita Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, separated
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet peppers, thinly sliced (your choice of color)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 2 cups soaked and cooked black beans (or 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed)
- Avocado/fresh guacamole
- Sour Cream (from grass-fed cows like Kalona)
- Raw cheese
- On a medium setting, heat one tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet. Add chicken breast. Sprinkle with half of salt and garlic and cook until white throughout. Remove chicken and allow to cool on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add remaining tablespoon of coconut oil. Add sliced bell peppers and onion. Sprinkle the remaining garlic and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet with the peppers and onions. Add cumin and chili powder. Stir to combine and cook until veggies reach your desired doneness.
- In a separate pot, warm the cooked black beans in water until warm. Strain.
- To serve, place about 1/2 cup black beans on plate and top with Fajita mixture. Add your toppings as desired and enjoy.